alex albright creative nonfiction Prize
First Prize $1000* and publication in nclr
Finalists will also be considered for publication in NCLR and NCLR Online.
The 2019 competition final judge is Tony Earley.
* Thanks to a donation by a generous NCLR reader, the usual $250 for 1st prize has been raised to $1000 for the 2018 competition. Honoraria for finalists selected for publication will be announced after we receive the results of grant applications.
NCLR now considers creative nonfiction submissions only through the Alex Albright Creative Nonfiction Prize Competition, named for NCLR's Founding Editor. Submission period: February 15 through April 1. (This is a NEW reading period for this competition).
Eligibility Criteria & Submission Guidelines
The Alex Albright Creative Nonfiction Prize competition is open to any writer who fits the NCLR definition of a North Carolina writer: anyone who currently lives in North Carolina, has lived in North Carolina, or uses North Carolina as subject matter.
- Writers may submit (previously unpublished material only), creative nonfiction (including memoir, personal essays, travel writing, and other forms of cnf) of up to 7500 words, from February 15 through April 1. (NCLR reserves the right to extend the deadline if deemed necessary.)
- In lieu of a submission fee, writers must be NCLR subscribers to submit to this competition
(one year/$15 or two years/$25).
If you are not already a subscriber, you will be directed to subscribe after you submit.
- The subscription requirement is waived for members of the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association.* Join the NCLHA at this link. (Funding for this competition comes from the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association's contribution to NCLR's budget.)
* Members of the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association receive both the NCLR and the North Carolina Historical Review as part of their membership fees.
- Submit electronically via in a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file.
- The author's name must not appear in the file. Name the file with the title of the submission.
- Multiple submissions are accepted (2-year subscription or membership in the NC Literary and Historical Association required of writers who submit more than one time).
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed. Please notify us immediately if your submission has been accepted for publication elsewhere. It will be withdrawn from the prize competition and will not be considered for publication in NCLR.
- All who submit will receive notification of the competition results via email within 3-4 months of the deadline, and a press release will be posted on the NCLR website and on NCLR’s Facebook page, as well as sent out to the media.
- The authors of the essays selected to be published in the print issue will receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their story appears (in addition to their subscription copy).